Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Last Annual Vol State Road Race

This coming Thursday, a group of hearty souls will embark upon the Last Annual Vol State Road Race, which is a 500k run, primarily through Tennessee, but at least touching four other states, including Missouri, Kentucky, Alabama, and Georgia.



I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little jealous of these runners.  The experience they are about to have will undoubtedly be an unforgettable one, and the mere thought of it sends me into a reminiscent state.  As much as I hate to admit it, guys like DeWayne and Prof. Lake were right; the road gets into your blood.  Once you've experienced something like it, there will always be something of an allure, a call from the endless ribbon of road. 

As much as I wish (in a very strange and masochistic sort of way) that I was out there, suffering along with them, I eagerly await the daily updates from a couple of email lists, and I've even heard that, somewhat contrary to the original spirit of the race, there is a page on thefacebook dedicated to the run.

All that said, I suppose the silver lining to missing it this year is that I can always run the Last Annual Vol State Road Race next year...

No comments: