Saturday, June 9, 2012

To Race or Not To Race...

It's the time of year that I find myself looking for yet another event upon which to focus.  For one reason or another, summer tends to bring about the most consistent training of the year for me, so it's always nice to have a race, run, or other event to hold my attention, which is, admittedly, not easily done.

At the moment, three ideas are emerging as front-runners; these are, in no particular order, the Arkansas Traveller 100, a run across Mississippi (E-W, likely Hwy 82 from Columbus to Greenville, somewhere around 180-190 miles), or a flat-out and fast marathon (e.g., Rocket City, Chicago, etc.).

Truth be told, this list can and probably will change, possibly drastically, but on the off chance that anyone actually reads this and feels the urge to respond, I was interested on the running community's thoughts on these three, pros/cons, as well as what some of your late-year race/event plans are as additional possibilities.

All that so say that for my own benefit, with regard to planning some goal event, I'm open to suggestions, and I have a sneaking suspicion that others are as well.

3 comments:

Josh Kennedy said...

Goals: get started with a CF box, Rocket City in 2:45, and in general aim to be a stronger, more powerful runner and athlete by the end of the year.

But that's just Josh's vote...

Rob Youngren said...

You can join us in the Smoky's over Labor Day, there is a large group of us planning to cover the 70+ miles from Fontana to Davenport Gap on the AT. Should be an epic adventure for sure.

ultraman said...

Of your three choices, I'd pick AT100. Marathons are a bit ho hum at this stage I think and it's too soon to go epic across another state and let's face it.. you need to get that monkey off your back! I'll come crew you if I still can't really run by then